The Pitkin & Ruddock story so far

1954
WHERE IT BEGAN

Friends Derrick Ruddock and Pat Pitkin started a business called Refrigeration & Electrical Engineers in 1954.

1959
INCORPORATION

Pitkin & Ruddock Ltd was incorporated in 1959. Daisy Ruddock and Dorris Pitkin took on the company’s secretarial work.

1970
FIRST PREMISES

As business got busier, the company took their first industrial unit in 1970.

1975
JOINED HVCA

In 1975, Pitkin & Ruddock Ltd joined the HVCA, Heating & Ventilation Contractors Association. Now called BESA.

1982
LARGER PREMISES

With expanded activities into new sectors and continued growth, in 1982 the company moved to larger premises in Whapload Rd, Lowestoft.

1987
BOB TAKES OVER

Derrick’s son, Bob Ruddock, and wife Ann, took over full ownership of the company in 1987. Over 30 years, Bob built the foundations and structure that allowed Pitkin & Ruddock to become the successful business it is today.

1994
BURY BRANCH

To allow faster response times and support for the Bury St Edmunds, Newmarket and Cambridge areas, the company opened a Bury St Edmunds branch in 1994.

1998
IPSWICH BRANCH

To allow faster response times and support for the Ipswich, Felixstowe, Stowmarket and Colchester areas, the company opened an Ipswich branch in 1998.

2006
ONE INTO THREE

In 2006, the 3 branches in Lowestoft, Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich, were incorporated into 3 subsidiary companies.

2014
TCR LTD

As part of a planned expansion programme, in 2014 Pitkin & Ruddock purchased Three Counties Refrigeration (TCR) Ltd, based in Saffron Waldon.

2020
BISHOP’S STORTFORD

Allowing for further expansion along the M11 corridor, the Bishop’s Stortford branch was opened in 2020, with TCR Ltd rebranded Pitkin & Ruddock (Bishop’s Stortford) Ltd.

2020
BURY PLOT

In 2020, Pitkin & Ruddock purchased land at Kempson Way, Bury St Edmunds.

2024
BOB RUDDOCK CENTRE

To meet the growing needs of the business, work began on the construction of the Bob Ruddock Centre, Bury St Edmunds. The centre is due to be completed and opened in 2024.